skip to primary navigationskip to content

Motor Vehicles


Motor Proctor

The University's Special Pro-Proctor for Motor Vehicles is responsible for licensing the keeping and using of motor vehicles (other than mopeds) within 10 miles of Great St Mary's Church by University students who have not yet reached MA status and are in residence in term or in the Long Vacation period of residence. The Motor Proctor also has the power to impose a fine of up to £175 for students breaching the regulations on the keeping and using of motor vehicles.

Proctorial Notice: Motor Vehicles (be sure to read this)

Apply online

You may now apply online for a licence from the Motor Proctor (Raven authenticated).

You will need to upload scans, photographs, or electronic versions of your:

  • driving licence (both sides);
  • vehicle registration certificate (V5C, aka "logbook");
  • certificate of insurance; and
  • tutor's note of recommendation for a licence.

You cannot complete the online application without all of these documents, so please ensure you have them to hand before you start. Your documents will be checked, and if the Motor Proctor approves your application, your licence will be sent to you at your College in the internal mail.

How are licences granted?

University students can only keep and use motor vehicles in the area and in the times specified above via a written recommendation from their Tutor to the Motor Proctor. The issue of a licence may be conditional upon the person to whom it is issued being covered by insurance on behalf of passengers, and upon restrictions on the garaging and parking of a vehicle for which it is issued.

The Motor Proctor decides on each individual case whether or not a licence is to be issued. Licence applications must be made within seven days of the vehicle being brought within the ten-mile radius of Great St Mary's Church, or within the first seven days of Michaelmas term if the application is for a renewal.

Please note that a licence from the Motor Proctor is not a parking permit. If you live in accommodation where parking is restricted, you must abide by those restrictions.

What are the criteria to obtaining a licence?

To obtain a licence you should match one of the following:

  • be a graduate of a university
  • be an undergraduate who has kept or been allowed nine terms of residence
  • be an undergraduate who has not kept nine terms but has exceptional individual circumstances, e.g. medical problems or special needs related to academic work
  • be an undergraduate who has not kept nine terms but who will use the vehicle for the purposes of a University Department, or a University or College club or society

How do I get full details of the licensing procedure?

The licensing procedure is laid down in Statutes and Ordinances of the University of Cambridge 2016, in 'Motor Vehicles' paragraphs numbered 1 to 8.

The Motor Proctor's office is not currently open; all applications should be made online or via email.

Tel: (01223) 333310